Farm Leadership Program Jones County
Company: Smithfield Foods, Inc.
Posted on: June 8, 2021
The Farm Leadership Program offers both on-the-job training and
a formal education based in a classroom setting. During your
education, you will focus on many specialties which will
- Swine Production
- Animal Science
- Animal Health Management
- Animal Reproduction
- Farm Maintenance
During the program, you are a full-time, paid employee who will
complete a development program with the support of our coaching
technicians and supervisors. Upon successful completion of the Farm
Leadership Program you will receive:
- Journeyman's Certificate (from the US and NC Departments of
Labor) Associate in Swine Management (AAS) degree.
- No college debt - Smithfield Foods pays for your education
- Course credits that are transferable towards a bachelor's
degree and in many cases entering as a Junior
- Learn, understand, and implement all policies and procedures
that relate to Bio-security.
- Abide by all company policies, procedures and guidelines as
directed by farm leadership.
- Flexibility with a willingness to change plans according to the
direction of farm leadership.
- Work as a team player by accomplishing daily department work
requirements and farm goals.
- Assist in moving animals and maintaining efficient animal
- Sanitize and wash multiple areas on the farm using high
- Feed, water, vaccinate, and perform general animal husbandry
tasks including basic veterinary procedures.
- Maintain accurate production information and update all
department records as required.
- Treat sick animals with a variety of pharmaceuticals by
injection, oral application, and/or other methods as required.
- Follow the Standard Operation Procedures, Production Manuals,
or Appropriate Training Guides as required.
- Assist with facility and equipment maintenance.
- Assist with maintaining barn, office cleanliness, and laundry
- Follow the Company's animal welfare policies and procedures
including: providing a physical environment that meets the animal's
needs, providing access to adequate water and high quality feed,
providing humane treatment of the animals, providing identification
and appropriate treatment of animals in need of health care.
- Responsible for being in compliance with all environmental laws
- Report all environmental issues immediately to their
- Read and understand the company's emergency notification
process and how it applies to their specific worksite
- Responsible for understanding all safety requirements of the
job and for performing the job in compliance with the safety
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature
and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job.
They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all
responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so
classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED),
- Willingness to develop skill set and product knowledge through
classroom, hands-on, and virtual training. Ability to follow
instructions and deal with standardized situations.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Good planning
and priority setting skills.
- Able to lead problem solving and troubleshooting efforts
associated with high-level process issues. Desire and attitude to
- Strong decision-making and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while
building strong working relationships and a positive work
Work Environment & Physical Demands
The physical demands and work environment characteristics
described here are representative of those an employee should
possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this
job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals
with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The farm environment will include wet or humid conditions
(non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts,
exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can
be loud certain times of the day
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision,
distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to handle or
feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and
talk or hear.
Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield's benefits, visit
About Smithfield Foods
Headquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods,
Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a
global reach. Our 40,000 U.S. and 15,000 European employees are
dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly." and have made us
one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies.
We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two
decades, including many industry firsts, such as our ambitious
commitment to cut our carbon impact by 25 percent by 2025. We
believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have
donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our neighbors in
need. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands,
such as Smithfield, Eckrich and Nathan's Famous, among many others.
For more information, visit www.smithfieldfoods.com, and connect
with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.
Smithfield is an equal opportunity employer committed to
workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender
identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled
individual or any other protected group status or non-job related
characteristic as directed by law.
Keywords: Smithfield Foods, Inc., Greenville , Farm Leadership Program Jones County, Other , Kinston, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!