Heavy Equipment Operator
Company: City of Greenville, NC
Posted on: June 8, 2021
The purpose of this position is to operate and maintain street
maintenance equipment and lead crews in a variety of street
construction and maintenance work. This position operates a variety
of heavy-duty construction equipment that requires a high level of
skill and competence. Examples of equipment operated are, but not
limited to, motor grader, bulldozer, vactor truck, road asphalt
roller, dump truck, street sweeper, and large excavators.
This is a continuous recruitment and may close at any time.
Qualified individuals are encouraged to apply as soon as
FLSA Status: Non-exempt.
Examples of Duties
- Operates heavy construction equipment in an efficient and
- Repairs asphalt and concrete failures and utility cuts;
- Compacts asphalt pavement with road roller;
- Removes pavement and excavates underlying material;
- Completes the installation, cleaning, and repairs of basins,
manholes, and storm drain pipes;
- Excavates, re-grades, cleans, and mows ditches, streams, and
- Leads and assigns work to crews;
- Performs routine maintenance on equipment;
- Files reports on equipment repairs and malfunctions;
- Communicates project status daily to a supervisor; and
- Operates trucks with brine tanks and salt spreaders during
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED; and
- Two years of experience operating various pieces of heavy
construction equipment to include, but not limited to, motor
grader, bulldozer, dump truck, street sweeper, vactor truck, and
- One year of supervisory or lead worker experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- traffic and highway safety rules and regulations.
- the geographical layout of the City, including street names and
- hazards involved in the operation of construction vehicles and
equipment and the safety precautions to be observed in their
- local laws pertaining to the operation of equipment on
- operation, maintenance, capabilities, and limitations of
difficult and complex heavy-duty construction equipment and related
- the operations of assigned equipment or systems.
- communicating effectively to convey information.
- lead and assign tasks to work crews.
- recognize and report abnormal operating functions of
- read and interpret surveyor's reports, grade stakes, and other
- complete assigned jobs to specifications.
- judge terrain, determine the amount of cut and fill required,
and correctly alter earth to desired construction design.
- perform emergency and minor repairs on equipment.
- perform strenuous work.
- work in a variety of weather conditions with exposure to the
- prepare simple records.
- work cooperatively with City officials, other employees, and
the general public.
- work safely without presenting a direct threat to self or
- meet mental and physical demands of the job.
- Must possess and maintain a valid N.C. Class A or B Commercial
Driver's License (CDL); Tanker endorsement required within six
months of hire.
Keywords: City of Greenville, NC, Greenville , Heavy Equipment Operator, Other , Greenville, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!