Company: Smithfield Foods, Inc.
Posted on: June 9, 2021
The Herdsperson assists other Herd Technicians in routine animal
care and general farm tasks to ensure the welfare/well-being of the
animals. Tasks include farm sanitation, animal removal, and animal
movement. Employee may operate mowers, tractors, trucks, bus, and
other farm equipment as directed. May be in training for advanced
Herd Technician designation. The Herdsperson position will also
provide for the care of all animals at the designated work site,
particularly their health, growth, and breeding.
- Feeds, waters, vaccinates, and performs general animal
husbandry tasks including basic veterinary procedures.
- Maintains flexibility with a willingness to change plans
according to the direction of farm leadership.
- Assists in moving animals and maintaining efficient animal
- Sanitizes and washes multiple areas on the farm using high
- Processes piglets, which includes: Injecting medications,
castrating, docking tails, and ear notching.
- Maintains accurate production information and update all
department records as required.
- Treats sick animals with a variety of pharmaceuticals by
injection, oral application, and/or other methods as required.
- Follows the Standard Operation Procedures, Production Manuals,
or Appropriate Training Guides as required.
- Assists with facility and equipment maintenance.
- Assists with maintaining barn, office cleanliness, and laundry
- Follows the Company's animal welfare policies and procedures
including: providing a physical environment that meets the animal's
needs, providing access to adequate water and high quality feed,
providing humane treatment of the animals, providing identification
and appropriate treatment of animals in need of health care and
following the guidelines for euthanasia.
- Responsible for complying with all environmental, safety and
biosecurity laws and procedures.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature
and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job.
They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all
responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so
classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals to perform the essential functions.
- High School diploma or GED preferred.
- Previous livestock handing helpful.
- Ability to do hard physical labor.
- Strong commitment to teamwork.
- Willingness to shower daily in and out of facility.
- Ability to follow instructions and deal with standardized
- Must be able to work an average 48-hour work week, which can
- Weekend, evening, and holiday work required as needed.
- Must be on call for emergency situations to include but not
limit to, power outages or personnel shortages.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while
building strong working relationships and a positive work
Work Environment & Physical Demands
The work environment characteristics & physical demands
described here are representative of those an employee encounters
while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions.
- Vision abilities include close vision, distance vision and
ability to adjust focus.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 lbs.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to handle or
feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and
talk or hear.
- Must be able to work with and around a wide range of
antibiotics (i.e. penicillin).
- Must be able to tolerate blood, animal dander, manure, dust,
odors, and frequently noisy conditions.
Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield's benefits, visit
About Smithfield Foods
Headquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods,
Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a
global reach. Our 40,000 U.S. and 15,000 European employees are
dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly." and have made us
one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies.
We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two
decades, including many industry firsts, such as our ambitious
commitment to cut our carbon impact by 25 percent by 2025. We
believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have
donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our neighbors in
need. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands,
such as Smithfield, Eckrich and Nathan's Famous, among many others.
For more information, visit www.smithfieldfoods.com, and connect
with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.
Smithfield is an equal opportunity employer committed to
workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender
identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled
individual or any other protected group status or non-job related
characteristic as directed by law.
Keywords: Smithfield Foods, Inc., Greenville , Herdsperson, Other , Kinston, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!