Production Development Manager
Company: ABB LTD
Posted on: June 10, 2021
Production Development Manager
Take your next career step at ABB with a global team that is
energizing the transformation of society and industry to achieve a
more productive, sustainable future. At ABB, we have the clear goal
of driving diversity and inclusion across all dimensions: gender,
LGBTQ+, abilities, ethnicity and generations. Together, we are
embarking on a journey where each and every one of us, individually
and collectively, welcomes and celebrates individual
ABB Distribution Solutions are a global leader in power
distribution solutions, delivering pioneering low and
medium-voltage innovations and services. We care about your
tomorrow, providing solutions for a smarter, safer, environmentally
friendly and more reliable flow and distribution of electricity.
Manufacturing at ABB ranges from assembly of customized industrial
robots to advanced production of electrical switches and breakers.
The innovative products we make, drive the world's largest ships,
connect remote renewable power sources with consumers, and automate
complex industrial processes. This role reports to Local Product
Group Manager and is located in Pinetops, North Carolina. As a
Production Development Manager, you will be responsible for Project
Leader, Plant Data Validator, SAP Master Data Specialist and
Manufacturing Change Facilitator. This role will lead efforts to
achieve objectives related to new product development, start up and
industrialization; leading efforts to develop and implement plans
to support meeting strategic objectives related to manufacturing
and new product introduction, and lead efforts to ensure that
various associated processes support meeting noted objectives.
- Project Leader: Facilitate brainstorming sessions with area
teams to identify cost out, run the plant and safety projects
needed. Scope project details, costs to implement, and savings
- Load projects in appropriate databases (e.g. Relex) and work
with plant leadership to determine prioritization and adjust
priorities throughout year.
- Manage investment and expense throughout the year to ensure
project funds are properly spent including tracking expenses,
setting up suppliers and agreement terms, WBS creation, and project
- Manage some projects and pulse other projects to completion to
ensure entire project deck is implemented.
- Manage asset recognition / depreciation with finance through
Carriage and Insurance Paid (CIP) process.
- Support major projects (e.g. establishing and facilitating
footprint plans) to ensure business strategy/long term objectives
- Plant Data Validator / SAP support: Support factory with
ongoing daily support to correct SAP material masters, Bill of
Materials (BOM's), routings as needed. Debug sales order issues
that cause production orders to not create.
- Proactively review sales orders for problem orders that have
SAP set up issues and work with fabrication, purchasing, customer
service, engineering and finance for resolution.
- Review daily report from Engineering and Customer Service that
show sales orders that are pending actions needed to support
loading into SAP.
- Query data from SAP to support TOW, insourcing, outsourcing
initiatives as needed as relates to supply of product while
considering manufacturing core competencies and strategic
- Support shop request for SAP changes including scoping,
testing, and implementation as needed (ex. Mass BOM uploads and
updates to SAP product life cycle codes).
- Assist with SAP changes required for new products or NPIs. Lead
efforts to ensure data needed to support new product introductions
is determined and sufficient to support adequate production
- Product costing - serve as dedicated support to review the
routings and material costs to validate the current production
costs for products produced.
- Lead efforts to have product costs in SAP are updated to
accurately reflect costs for newly released and current
- Production Development Leader: Lead/facilitate the engineering
change process for the business. Review ECNs for accuracy before
accepting, work with R&D to resolve questions, ensure tasks
needed to implement changes are communicated and acted upon by
various functional areas, work with various functional areas to
ensure effective implementation of changes and complete final audit
of Engineering Change Notification (ECN) driven tasks to ensure
completeness before signing off.
- Production Full track - one opportunity to review CN for errors
such as incorrect descriptions, incorrect manufacturing location,
No Plant status, missing BOMs, etc. before approving receipt of
- Manufacturing Change Review - reviewing content of change
notices to determine Make/Buy based on manufacturing strategy and
product road map, etc. to determine tasks and functional support
needed for effective implementation.
- Manufacturing Implementation - ensure proper material master
set up, ensure production bom matches engineering bom, ensure lower
level parts/assemblies are properly set up, etc.
- Manufacturing Completion - Review all parts to ensure material
master set up looks accurate, make parts have a BOM, and lower
level parts are properly set up. (for all parts - not just group
assemblies above). Send parts to costing and close CN.
- Develop metrics that show effectiveness of New Product
Introductions (NPI) process and other associated processes and
communicate/review with team routinely to drive improvements in
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering.
- Minimum 5 years of experience leading/managing teams in a
- Minimum 5 years of experience working with SAP (master data
- Experience leading projects (preference leading projects
related to new product start up in a manufacturing
- Strong financial acumen with experience related to capital
project justification and cost management.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Must be self-motivated with a high level of creativity and
- Complex problem-solving skills required.
- Strong conflict resolution skills required.
- Experience in dealing with the cultural diversity of a global
- Master's degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering is
- Abilities to lead team activities to achieve business
- Strong teamwork, ability to create team cohesion and manage
- Ability to work under pressure with pending deadlines.
- Knowledge of the entire production process from tendering
phase, through the on-site activities, including the shipping of
- Knowledge of the tools that drive the entire production
- Knowledge of various manufacturing processes used in the
production of electrical industry products.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with subcontracting
- Knowledge of continuous improvement tools/methodologies (FMEA,
lean manufacturing, 5S, MTM/TMC, DFM/DFA, Six-Sigma, VSM,
- Experience driving continuous improvement activities focused on
production processes, cost reduction, product and process quality
improvement and improving workplace safety.
- Experience evaluating project costs and justification of
- Knowledge of direct/indirect costs associated with
production/products, change management methodologies and
- Candidates must already have a work authorization that would
permit them to work for ABB in the US.
- Retirement plan
- Life insurance
- Disability insurance
- Medical insurance
- Wellbeing program
More about us
We look forward to receiving your application. If you want to
discover more about ABB, take another look at our website
www.abb.com. Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at
ABB ABB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative
Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to their race, creed, color, ancestry, religion,
sex, national origin, citizen status, age, sexual orientation,
gender identity, disability, marital status, family medical leave
status, or protected veterans status. For more information
regarding your (EEO) rights as an applicant, please visit the
following websites: http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
As an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer,
applicants may request to review the Affirmative Action Plan of a
particular ABB facility between the hours of 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.
EST Monday through Friday by contacting an ABB HR Representative at
1-888-694-7762. Protected veterans and qualified individuals with a
disability may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable
or limited in your ability to use or access ABB's career site as a
result of your disability. You may request reasonable
accommodations by calling an ABB HR Representative at
1-888-694-7762 or by sending an email to US-AskHR@abb.com. Resumes
and applications will not be accepted in this manner.
Keywords: ABB LTD, Greenville , Production Development Manager, Other , Pinetops, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!